Follow by Email

Monday, August 6, 2012

A New V&A back room Gown

This has been a lot of work to recreate this gown. It was one of the most detailed gowns I saw in the back room at the Victoria and Albert Museum.
  I have completed the more elaborate bodice, and am working on the second one, and will add pictures of it when I have completed it.

  So for your viewing pleasure here is my long awaited creation
Now for the detail…..

A copy of the scanned pages from The Nineteenth-century Fashion In Detail Book, from the V&A museum.

It took hours of hand sewing to create the scolloped ruffles. And I had to stop and think and rethink before going on with each step and each piece, working it out in my mind, in order to recreate this gown in this smaller scale. I am happy with what I created. But glad it's done {except for finishing the second bodice}. It's never easy to recreate something, but being in the back room and seeing some of the gowns really helped. I have many pictures of this gown layer per layer, opened and closed. I couldn't have done it otherwise.
I hope you enjoy what I have created to share with you.